Pages

Total Pageviews

Friday, July 15, 2011

The most ridiculous thing California has done yet, I think?

I am preaching on Romans 13:1-7 Sunday and will spend much time exhorting my flock to obey those in authority as a witness for Christ and to the glory of Christ. Unless asked to sin, we obey is pretty much the Bible's message.

California certainly is a great place to go if you want to apply this teaching and test your faith. They have just passed a law that requires special curriculum be added to textbooks and class lectures highlighting the great accomplishments of those with non-traditional: Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/etc. (sinful) sexual lifestyles.

See news story here:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/14/california-gay-history-law-jerry-brown_n_898745.html

It is a mystery to me why we can't highlight great accomplishments of people without making special mention of their color, ethnic heritage or sex (male/female). I do believe God has made men and women different and with different roles in families and church, but if we want to treat all people the same in society should we be seeking to identify and highlight the differences or not really think much about them? That may be an issue with several reasonable answers. However, the situation in California goes to a totally different area of recognition.

Are we to start recognizing the great accomplishments of those who are celibate? Are we to recognize the great accomplishments of those who are virgins or faithful to their marriage or adulterers or child molesters or like to watch? Must we now take every person on earth and distinguish them by their sexual activities and put them in different chapters of California’s textbooks?

I can watch a movie with Cary Grant (most people say he was gay) without thinking about what he did on his own time off-screen. Must we now have a full sexual dossier on every actor, politician, schoolteacher, fireman, author, etc. so we know whether they should be praised for their accomplishments and their sexual deviancy?

If I lived in California I would pay my taxes and obey the laws. However, if I were a teacher I could not in good conscious tell my students that any deviant sexual behavior was good let alone especially praiseworthy. I would have to respectfully share my great displeasure at this ruling, encourage those in authority to repent and resign if they will not reverse this shameful law. Easy for me to say from North Carolina, but my wife works in the classroom here and we may soon get to test our own resolve in this area as this kind of immoral anti-God legislation sweeps the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment