Pages

Total Pageviews

Monday, November 28, 2011

Nominal Christians and the Diagnostic Power of the Word

By "nominal" (name only) Christians, I am referring to those who call themselves Christians or are outwardly associated with Christianity by church participation, but in reality are not followers of Jesus Christ. I also must admit I cannot be absolutely sure who these people are. However, the word of God offers some diagnostic help. I still may not know the deffinite salvation status of others, but at least the word gives me great encouragement when under attack by these seemingly "nominal" Christians.

John 15:18 “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also. 21 But all these things they will do to you for My name’s sake, because they do not know Him who sent Me. (NKJV)

I have had several instances when alleged Christians have opposed changes in the church even when clearly supported by the scriptures. When asked to give a reason for thier fighting against the changes and church leadership the answer is typically something like, "I just don't think it is right". To this the appropriate response is, "can we sit down and see what the scriptures say about it". To my surprise the answer is almost always something like, "no, I just don't think it is right".

If someone is not interested in going to the word of God for answers or doesn't see their thinking as needing to be adjusted by God's word, is their any reason to think they any more than a "nominal" Christian? I have typically given people the benefit of the doubt and assumed they were simply immature, but the more I understand the connection between receiving the word and being truly saved, I am much more inclined to see these people as lost. I also can take comfort in the fact that they are not simply rejecting me and my words, but as long as the teaching is sound they are really rejecting the words of God.

I pray they come to know Jesus Christ and love His word. I also thank God that I was once blind and now see and that purely by His gracious choice!

"Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved."

4 comments:

  1. One thing is for sure… all Christians are not at the same level of learning or understanding. It always seems that what “feels” right most often isn’t and it is so hard to get out of the way of one’s own “learning”. The natural inclination of not wanting to learn that which is difficult is understandable, but when it is preached from the pulpit and there is a WILLFUL desire to suppress the truth… that is when it gets sticky. Often these people will not listen or learn, they even run around behind the scenes and try to get others to agree with their point of view. They are then sinning and grieving the Holy Spirit and should be treated as unbelievers if they refuse to listen.

    Matthew 18:15-18
    15 “If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. 16 But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that BY THE MOUTH OF TWO OR THREE WITNESSES EVERY FACT MAY BE CONFIRMED. 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. 18 Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.

    Thorns in the flesh are what you can consider these and God’s grace is sufficient to see you through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 2 Corinthians we see that when Paul visits the Church at Corinth he does not want to find the Corinthians in the same spiritual condition as on his previous visit.

    2 Corinthians 12:20 "For I am afraid that perhaps when I come I may find you to be not what you wish; that perhaps there will be strife,jealousy,angry tempers, disputes, slanders, gossip, arrogance, disturbances;".

    It is sad to see how some Christians cannot see that our personal preferences and opinions must not take precedence over God's word and one must really consider their own salvation when they are able to dismiss God's word so easily.
    They seem to forget Paul's message in
    Ephesians 4:1-4
    1"Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called.2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love,3 being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling;".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good application of the word Greg - thanks

    ReplyDelete