Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

OK, I know this may be controversial, but can AA teach the church a lesson?

I would like to offer for discussion the 6th Tradition of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). In case you don't know what I mean by that, I offer this very brief explanation. AA has what they call the "Twelve Steps". These steps are the recovery program AA recommends for those recovering from Alcoholism. Less known is AA's "Twelve Traditions", these are principles that deal with AA governance, affiliation, etc. and seek to keep AA from getting off the primary purpose for which it exists.

OK, before I ask for input on this one particular tradition, I ask you not to jump to conclusions that I am anti-church property. Just read the tradition and consider any parallels with the church. 

Tradition 6. Problems of money, property, and authority may easily divert us from our primary spiritual aim. We think, therefore, that any considerable property of genuine use to A.A. should be separately incorporated and managed, thus dividing the material from the spiritual.....

You can read a full text of this and the other traditions here: Twelve Traditions

My questions are these -

Do you think the modern church has allowed the "problems of money, property and authority" to "divert us from our primary spiritual aim"?

Does the Bible promote churches owning property?

Does the Bible forbid churches owning property?

Are there principles in the Bible that might guide us in this area?

What might be lost if a church had no permanent building?

What might be gained if a church had no permanent building?

I am very interested in having some biblically supported answers and dialogue, so please participate if you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment