Pages

Total Pageviews

Monday, October 24, 2011

Replacing Jesus and the Holy Spirit with health and prosperity!

I was listening to a very popular TV "preacher" the other day and noticed a point in his message when he stood at the crossroads of Biblical truth and idolatry. After some welcomes, calisthenics involving raising bibles above their heads and a couple pretty funny jokes, the speaker came to a pivotal moment. I will paraphrase what he said as - God does not want you going around discouraged and defeated, but rather wants you to live a joyous and victorious life!

To this I say amen! The turning point comes with the next words that leave the speakers mouth. One choice is to say all hope, joy, peace and victory are available in Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit and require nothing else on this earth to change.

We see this in the scriptures clearly -

Jesus said - John 16:33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

The Holy Spirit spoke through Paul saying: Phil. 4:11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Col. 3:1 If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

Being satisfied/thankful is actually commanded for Christians - 1 Thess. 5:16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 19 Do not quench the Spirit.

And of course we have a clear word form the Lord about the Holy Spirit's role in these things - Gal. 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23  gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

Any alternative emphasis, besides the biblical one, any suggestion that joy, peace, hope or the victorious life require things on earth to change is idolatry. These things (Joy, peace, etc.) come from the creator not the creation, they are in Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit!

Unfortunately, the speaker I was watching spent the rest of his time teaching that we should not be satisfied with our current situation, but rather we should seek other things from God to make our life better (give us joy, peace, victory, etc.). He did this by taking a scripture or two out of context and telling many stories of healing and financial gain of those who had faith. I got the impression that he would have been very offended at any Christian who suggested they could be content with Jesus Christ and salvation alone! We would have to be ignorant, lacking faith or both to be content with that, according to his teachings.

The evidence is in - health and prosperity preachers are simply idol peddlers who encourage the worship of the created things over the creator.

If you have been continually seeking "the blessings" through these TV ministries, I pray you will believe the gospel and live in the blessing you have in Jesus Christ! There are Bible teaching and Christ exalting churches out there to help you keep the creation centered idolatry that comes so natural at bay, while you grow in the knowledge of Jesus Christ through the word and Spirit.

"Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved."

2 comments:

  1. Way to call a spade a spade. My first thought is that we should be mindfull to pray for those held captive by these false teachers, that God would include them in the elect, give of them Jesus and His precious Spirit, that they may see the folly of this heresy, repent and be saved. I know those lies sounded pretty good to me once, too. These snake-oil salesmen and their "flocks" are exactly who Jesus speaks of in Matthew 15:14. Another thought-are these false prophets any more wicked than those they are decieving? I don't think so. While it's 100% probable that these frauds are selling these lies to get money in their plates, it would not be possible if the masses were wanting the Real Christ, as if having your iniquities washed clean in the presence of a Totally Holy God, who will accept no less, were some trivial thing. No, these decieved people are only wanting the same thing the decievers want- more money, better bodies, increased things. On that same point, none of them are a drop more wicked than I was before Jesus said "enough". I wanted nothing of Christ and His Holiness, His Lordship. I only wanted to not be a crackhead anymore. That idolotry is no less offensive. You are so right Keith, it comes so very naturally to want idols. Praise be to God for His Spirit inside me, Who allows me to hear a teaching such as you gave Sunday and convict me of my sin, show me I am forgiven in Christ, and empower me to live different, all at the same time!!!!!!! Glory! THATS what the world needs, not a Cadillac! tj

    ReplyDelete
  2. True brother, it is the ones with the itching ears that gather for themselves teachers to scratch them. (2 Tim. 4:3-5) If they weren't wanted and well compensated, they would probably do something else.

    ReplyDelete