Pages

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Christianity - a decision or a way of life?

More on where to look for assurance of our salvation -

Rom. 10:8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.  11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.” (NKJV)
Confess, believe, call on the name of the Lord - are these the same, what do they mean?
Acts 2:36 “Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.” 37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?” 38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.” (NKJV)
Here we see repentance and the saving of as many as the Lord will call.
John 10:25 Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father’s name, they bear witness of Me. 26 But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. 27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one.” (NKJV)
Now we see belief defined in terms of hearing/following Jesus.
Are these all different ways of being saved – some harder and some easier? Are these contradictions in God’s word where one place says you must simply utter some words and another place suggests a changed life?

No – the scriptures don’t contradict so they all must be true and able to reconciled with each other. Since we can’t reduce hearing His voice and following to a mere verbal confession, we must interpret confession, belief, calling on and even repentance in light of hearing and following Jesus. This does not mean that it is our hearing/following of Jesus that saves us, but it does affirm that whatever these words mean they certainly result in our hearing and following Jesus.
My belief that won’t listen to and follow Jesus is a belief in something else.
MY confession that will not listen to and follow Jesus is just empty words.
My Calling on the name of the Lord Jesus to save without a desire to listen to and follow Jesus is futile.
My repentance, no matter how emotional, if I won’t listen to and follow Jesus is fraudulent.
If you have been called by Jesus, heard Jesus, know and are known by Jesus, would you not want to follow Jesus?
So, if I want assurance in my faith should I look to my confession of long ago? Were the words right? Was my belief sincere? Was my repentance heartfelt? No, clearly I should look to Jesus and His word now. As I read, hear and follow now - that is the best assurance I can have.

"Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved."

No comments:

Post a Comment