Pages

Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Christianity - a decision or a way of life?

"Pray the prayer", "ask Jesus into your heart", "go forward", "walk the isle" and even the very biblical language "repent and believe", all have the tendency to emphasise a one time event that makes a person a Christian. It is true for any of us that we were once not a Christian, so if we are now a Christian, then there must be a moment in time when we became a Christian and some means by which it happened.

However, I propose that the scripture does not encourage us to look to our decision for our identity as Christians, but rather to our walk or lifestyle as Christians.

Eph. 4:1 I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called,  2 with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, 3 endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 5 one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all. (NKJV)

I will write more on this later this week and would encourage anyone who has the time/desire to do so to consider the question and participate by sharing your insights/comments. Thanks

"Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved."

1 comment:

  1. Good to have you back from the sunshine state, brother. I can affirm your view from experience, having went to the "alter" and said oh, I don't know, maybe 5 or so "repeat after me sinner's prayers". Each time I quickly reverted to same old me- And could not understand why. Had my heart been changed to love God's Word, my plight could have been diagnosed easily by passages such as EPH 4:1-5, and the many statements Jesus Himself said about what a real disciple of His looked like: They will bear their cross and follow Him(LUKE 14: 27 and 33) They will desire wholly to follow God's commandments(John 14:15) though they will also fall short, ever driving them Back to Jesus. They will desire His Word(John 14:23-24), as the Scripture combined with His Spirit in us is how God has chosen to speak to us. And because of the indwelling Spirit, the will burn for and proclaim the great name of Jesus the Christ(John 15:26, 16:14), as that is what the Spirit Does.
    Also, though I could be wrong, I really take issue with the every head bowed every eyes closed slip up your hand if you JUST RECIEVED SALVATION secret ballet thing the church has invented as the process of profession. For one I can find that way of doing it nowhere in Scripture, and two, if that's the only way I'll do it, I'd doubt it,judging by descripions of rebirth in the Bible. If I'd just won the lotto, you couldn't sit me down or shut me up. Ah, but it's only eternal life and sonship of Allmighty God.
    One interesting thing about when God truly Graced me with Life- I was on a bunk, listening to a radio sermon aboutthe song of Zacharias from Luke 1. I heard the preacher read verse 77 and instantly-- hard to word, but like I was shown in the span of seconds how I really was, how God really was, how much trouble i was in because of that, all my wickedness, all His goodness,despair and hopelessness-and then I was shown Jesus and the TRUTH of it ALL. My sins were paid for by the same One I once upon a time called MYTH! I was shown my total unworthiness of His love. And you know what, beloved? I NEVER ASKED A THING. In fact, as I recall, all I could manage for awhile was two words-thank you. And I've not been the same since. Failings? Yes. Do I still follow? Yes. I love Jesus, because He first loved me-enough to give me His Spirit so I COULD love Him. That was Dec. 17, 4 years ago. So yes, it was one moment in time, but that moment will stretch into eternity. Amazing, I can't even grasp that, yet know it as FACT. tj

    ReplyDelete