Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Do I get offened when others think my doctrine is flawed?

Recently I watched a video of a discussion by Al Mohler, president of Southern Seminary, and Eric Hankins, pastor of First Baptist Church in Oxford, Miss. They were discussing the recent attempts within the Southern Baptist Church to bring a spirit of cooperation between those who hold to a reformed view of salvation and those who do not. I thought it was a good discussion, but I was most struck by a comment Al Mohler made.

Basically he pointed out that whenever we get offended or defensive because someone with another view is suggesting our doctrine is flawed, we are by definition saying we think their doctrine is flawed.

I like what I have heard John MacArthur say along the same lines - he knows there are flaws in his theology and as soon as he becomes aware of them he will fix them. That surely is a better starting point if we truly want to be able to listen to others and possibly even come to agree with them.

Here is a link to the discussion mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment