Pages

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Agnostic language lessons?

I had a discussion about spiritual things with a lady who was cutting my hair recently. She claimed to be an agnostic and was quite willing to discuss our different beliefs. Here are a few things I learned as I spoke to her.

One thing I realize is that she had not thought very critically about her beliefs. She discussed what she thought God might be like, the kind of God she could believe in, if there was one (loving), and what kind of God she definitely would not believe in (harsh/evil). I asked her if there was a real God, does what I, her, or any of the other 7 billion people on earth think of Him change who He is? Her reply was no, and she had never really thought of that before.

Another question that caught her a little off guard was this, if there is a real God and we are to know anything about Him, rather than us just speculating about what He might be like, would He need to tell us about Himself in some objective way?

I further suggested that if God had not revealed Himself, so that we might know what He really is like, then we might as well be atheists, because faith in an unknowable God was pretty pointless. Even her belief that any God that does exist must be loving, does not mean the real God could not be an evil tyrant. Only by God revealing Himself can we know anything about Him with certainty and of course I suggested He had done just that in the Bible.

She agreed that some of my logic made sense, but at this point brought some more murkiness into the conversation. She suggested that faith was not a mater of facts at all, but feelings and everyone must decide what they believe.

Wow! This really shows a difference in definitions. She is discussing God and faith in terms of what works or feels good for the individual, while I was discussing, if there is a God, how can we know and how must we respond!

So what do I suggest?

Make sure we are talking about the same things when it comes to God and faith. Are we both asking does a real God exist? If so, what is He like and how can we know what He wants from us? Or, are they simply talking about different concepts of God that are simply personal preferences?

If so, then I need to get us on the same questions about God, before the conversation can be fruitful.

Further, as to faith, are we talking about how and why we believe in the God who does exist or religious/spiritual feelings that make us feel better while we have no definite knowledge of God?

I ended by telling her that God's word/Bible, says the world is not about us finding a God we are comfortable with, but about the real God showing His justice in the punishment of all who rebel against Him and Him displaying the greatness of His mercy, grace and love, by saving those who believe upon the person and work of Jesus Christ!

I pray God uses something we discussed and my hair will grow back, so I will definitely look for her next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment