Pages

Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 12, 2012

What would a radicalized Christian look like?

Muslims are called "radicalized" if they take the writings of their religion serious, not just agreeing with the Koran in principle, but living out what it teaches. We may disagree with many of those teachings and wish they would not take their beliefs so serious, but what would a radicalized Christian look like?

What would it look like if a Christian took the teachings of God, as found in the Bible, and actually lived according to them? We will use this as the definition of a radicalized Christian.

First, I suspect a radicalized Christian would read and study God's Word a lot, after all how can you follow the teachings of God's Word, if you don't know what they are. Jesus is even said to be "the Word which became flesh", so all of the Bible should be treated as words from Him!

Next, I suspect we would pray, because the Bible often tells us to!

Loving others sacrificially, that seems consistent with being a radicalized Christian.

Telling others about the one true God and His Holy Word, the Bible, would seem like a high priority to the radicalized Christian as well.

Seeing Jesus as our greatest treasure and worshiping Him - a necessity for the radicalized Christian of course!

What would happen if we lived like radicalized Christians -

John 10:25 Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father’s name, they bear witness of Me. 26 But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you.  27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one.” (NKJV)

If by radicalized Christian we mean following the teachings of Jesus as found in the Bible, then Jesus says we can have assurance that we are His sheep and will be with Him forever!

I don't mean to suggest, nor does Jesus, according to many other of His teachings, that our following is what saves us or gets us into heaven. I would also deny that any Christian follows Jesus perfectly, true followers mess up quite often, even with our best efforts to live according to his Word. Therefore, it is a good thing that salvation is 100% by grace alone, through faith alone, in the work of Christ alone. However, Jesus still makes it quite clear here and elsewhere in His Word, that those who have saving faith are the ones who listen to and follow Him, and they are also the ones who will be saved!  How radical!

What about a non-radicalized Christian?


"Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved."

No comments:

Post a Comment