Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Spirtual growth requires the word of God AND the Spirit of God!

Bold added for emphasis -

1 Peter 2:1 Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking, 2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, 3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious.

Gal. 3:3 Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?  4 Have you suffered so many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain? 5 Therefore He who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you, does He do it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?—

The word of God and the Spirit of God are the means God uses to call us to salvation and to aid us in our growth in the faith. It is easy to look at others and think - "Why don't they see this thing about themselves and adjust to the word that was just preached?" OR "Why can I see it and do it in my life, but they don't in their life?"

The reality of God using the word and the Spirit to change people suggests a couple of things -

First, we all should be growing. As I ponder why the thing that I think needs to change in someone else's life was seemingly unaffected by that sermon, am I hearing and adjusting to what that sermon might have said to me?

Next, if they are to hear and change, the word must be read, taught, preached, etc. However, that does not guarantee the Holy Spirit is going to be at work in a particular way in that particular person at this particular time. If just hearing the word properly taught meant all true believers were fixed in all the areas addressed, many would long since have reached perfection.

No, I need to recognize that as I teach the Holy Spirit is the means of hearing, conviction and the power to help believers adjust to the word of God. Further, I need to realize that the Spirit may be working on other things in their life right now and of course I need to make my own walk with the Lord the primary focus as I listen to the word being taught or I read it for myself.

Church discipline is for the purpose of addressing what I believe to be an actual specific sin in someone else's life. It is done in love for the person and a desire for the purity of the church.

However, beyond that I need to check myself -

Rom. 14:4  Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.

This reminds me that if I get it God did it, so I better be very thankful and not prideful! So, I should preach, teach, and read the word, encourage others to do as it says, and trust that as the Spirit reveals it and empowers change, for me and them - God's work will be done in them and I, in God's time!

"Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved."

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me that it is God who is the provider of knowledge and wisdom through His grace. It has been so easy for me to think about others with an accusatory heart. Sometimes we just need to release things to the Lord and let Him do His will. After all, it is His glory, reputation, and honor that are on the line, not ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How often have I (albeit subconsciously) expected the Holy Spirit to do my bidding instead of my Father's? Thankfully, he cannot and will not. Instead, he turns to me and begins a new work in me. And he who began a good work in me will be faithful to complete it. I am so grateful for those who preach and speak truth into my life, leaving room for the Holy Spirit to do his work in his timing.

    ReplyDelete